The Rosa Luxemburg Foundation is one of the largest political education institutions in Germany today and sees itself as part of the intellectual current of democratic socialism. The foundation evolved from a small political group, “Social Analysis and Political Education Association“, founded in 1990 in Berlin into a nationwide political education organisation, a discussion forum for critical thought and political alternatives as well a research facility for progressive social analysis.
The Rosa Luxemburg Foundation aims to:
• Organise political education and disseminate knowledge about social relations in a globalized, unjust and hostile world
• Provide a venue for critical analysis of current capitalism; act as a hub for programmatic discussions about a modern democratic socialism, act as a socialistic think-tank for political alternatives
• Be a forum in Germany and internationally that supports dialogue between left-socialistic powers, socialistic movements and organisations, left-minded intellectuals and non-governmental organisations
• Grant funding to young scholars via undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships
• Give impulses to self-defining socialistic political activities and support commitment to peace and international understanding for a socially just and solidary union
In 1996 the Rosa Luxemburg Foundation was officially recognised as a nationwide affiliated trust of the Party of Democratic Socialism (PDS), presently known as “DIE LINKE “ (The Left). As such it works closely with DIE LINKE affiliated state foundations and associations nationwide.