Trade Africa Network Zambia - TAN Zambia
Basic Facts about the Network
Fostering trade in Zambia and the region Trade Africa Network Zambia (TAN Zambia) is an alumni network active in Zambia and registered as an association in 2009. Its mission is to develop an effective and proactive innovative network that will promote trade within and outside Zambia. The network has sixty members specialised in different sectors such as: Hospitality, Health, Manufacturing and Communication representing both public and private sectors. Members join together with the vision of fostering trade in Zambia and the region. The management of the network is propelled by the members with the Executive Committee taking the leading role. The Train for Trade Alumni Coordinator acts as the supervisor.
Services and Activities
The main services of the network are:
- Export training programmes
- Market research and development of market briefs
- Development of export business plans
- Facilitation of business contacts and provision of market information for Zambia and the European Union
Ongoing and completed projects
- Support in the setting of the European Union help desk: The Export Helpdesk is an online service, provided by the European Commission, to facilitate market access for developing countries to the European Union. It is a free and user-friendly service, which provides relevant information required by developing country exporters interested in supplying the EU market. Among other services, it provides trade statistics on trade flows to and from the European Union as well as gives advice on EU import procedures, EU VAT rules and EU rules on excise duties. The EU Export Helpdesk is the central information platform on how African countries can export to the EU and individual European countries. The Helpdesk can be accessed free of charge and is available in different languages such as English, French and Portuguese. Export Helpdesk: www.exporthelp.europa.eu
- An exhibition was organised during the Agricultural and Commercial Show in 2009 where alumni specialising in honey production, chili and rice attended with assistance from Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, GIZ, and the Zambia Development Agency (ZDA).
- In 2009, the network hosted two project-identication meetings in Livingstone and Kabwe, which sought to identify projects that members could embark on to generate income.
- In 2010, the network participated in an Interactive Day that brought together alumni of different other networks - QM, Information and Communication, Technology (ICT), ProNet, as well as HIV and AIDS.
- In 2011, the network started an active fundraising campaign, to boost the resource base of the network and strengthening relations with local stakeholders such as ZDA.
- In 2011, alumni organised an Africa Day exhibition, where members of TAN Malawi and Zambia were present.
- The network also participated in the Trade Show in 2013.