Africa-Europe event on higher education collaboration - Conference outcomes
More than 400 participants took part in the Africa-Europe conference on higher education collaboration in Brussels on 25 October 2019. On this page, you will find an overview of all conference outcomes: the speakers' presentations, the recommendations produced by each workshop as well as the full event report.
Conference delegates produced sector-specific policy recommendations on how to further develop the chapter "Investing in people by investing in education and skills" of the Africa-Europe Alliance, first announced by Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in September 2018. Among the key recommendations for the future of European-African collaboration in higher education, delegates expressed the need for
- increased cooperation with the private sector,
- continuous professional development for academic staff,
- the promotion of a Pan-African Quality Assurance and Accreditation Framework,
- stronger linkages between higher education and Technical and Vocational Education and Training,
- the strengthening of transnational educational partnerships,
- a comprehensive approach to refugee integration in tertiary education.
The web-streamed conference opening and closing session are still accessible here:
The conference was jointly organised by the European Commission, the African Union Commission and four higher education stakeholder organisations of EU member states - the German Academic Exchange Service, British Council, Campus France and Nuffic - this high-level conference highlighted the importance of collaboration in higher education between the two continents.
To learn more about the conference outcomes, get more background information or an overview of all projects, initiatives and programmes to to the webseite of DAAD Brussels.