The German Chancellor Fellowship
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships every year to prospective leaders from Brazil, China, India, Russia, South Africa and the USA – irrespective of their field of work. Together with a German host and mentor of their choice, fellows conduct a socially-relevant project they have developed independently.
- A monthly fellowship of €2,150, €2,450 or €2,750, depending on your qualifications
- Flexible timing: 12-month fellowship between 1 August 2022 – 31 March 2024
- Individual mentoring during your stay in Germany
- Additional financial support for items such as family members accompanying you, travel expenses or a German language course
- A study tour of Germany, an opportunity to meet the German chancellor at the end of your stay and a number of networking events
- Joint programme events and the chance to actively cooperate in peer groups and organise smaller-scale networking formats
- Extensive alumni sponsorship, particularly to help you sustain contact with collaborative partners in Germany during your entire professional career
- The applicant must be a national of Brazil, China, India, Russia, South Africa or the United States.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent academic degree completed less than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October of the year in which the selection is made
- A mentoring agreement from the host in Germany
- A project plan which candidates must draw up independently and coordinate with their host.
- Initial proven leadership experience
Application deadline: 15 October 2021
Recommended period of sponsorship: 1 October 2022 – 30 September 2023
Please consult the Programme Information (PDF) and FAQ for further details of the application requirements and fellowship specifications. Further information, a list of all application requirements and a link to the online application form are available at www.humboldt-foundation.de/youngleaders.The Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany is the patron of this fellowship programme. The Foundation grants up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships annually – up to ten for each country.
Continue reading on the Alumniportal Deutschland
About the Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation promotes academic cooperation between excellent scientists and scholars from abroad and from Germany.
- The research fellowships and research awards allow you to come to Germany to work on a research project you have chosen yourself together with a host and collaborative partner.
- If you are a scientist or scholar from Germany you can profit from our support and carry out a research project abroad as a guest of one of more than 30,000 Humboldt Foundation alumni worldwide - the Humboldtians.
- As an intermediary organisation for German foreign cultural and educational policy the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation promotes international cultural dialogue and academic exchange.