Apply now: The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX)
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and U.S. Department of State, that annually provides 75 American and 75 German young professionals, between the ages of 18-24, the opportunity to spend one year in each other’s countries, studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program.
The program consists of three phases:
- Two months of intensive German language training
- Four months of classes in one’s academic or career field at a university, technical or professional school
- Five-month internships in one’s career field
Who can apply?
CBYX is open to candidates in all career fields, and applicants from a broad range of backgrounds are selected for the program each year. In accordance with the public diplomacy goals of the CBYX program, the selection committee aims to select a diverse group of 75 American participants each year.
Participants are expected to act as “young ambassadors” of the United States in Germany, and to represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, disabilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion and socio-economic status.
More specific requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship
- Ages 18-24 at the start of the program
- High school diploma
- Must exhibit clear career goals and relevant experience in their career field
- Experience can be in the form of work, internships, or volunteering
- Strong interest in German and world affairs
- Prior German language knowledge is not required, but is preferred
Deadline for applications is 1 December 2017.
The German equivalent (called the “Parlamentarisches Patenschafts Programm (PPP)”) is open for applications from German Young people and cooperates with the CBYX program. The application deadline for the program year 2018/19 has already passed. More information on PPP are availbale online (in German).
More information on the CBYX is available on the website of culturalvistas.org//CBYX