Apply now: Georg Forster Research Fellowship by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
In providing Georg Forster Research Fellowships for postdoctoral researchers, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation enables highly-qualified scientists and scholars from abroad who are just embarking on their academic careers and who completed their doctorates less than four years ago to spend extended periods of research (6-24 months) in Germany.
The research fellowship programme is financed by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (Bundesministerium fuer wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung – BMZ).
Scientists and scholars from all disciplines from developing countries, emerging economies and transition states (excluding People’s Republic of China and India; c.f. detailed list of countries) may apply. The research outline must deal with issues of major relevance to the future development of the candidate’s country or region of origin.
The research is carried out in cooperation with academic hosts at research institutions in Germany. Applicants choose their own topic of research and their host in Germany and prepare their research outline independently. Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying. Short-term visits for study and training purposes or for attending conferences are not eligible for sponsorship.
Who can apply?
Please send an application,
- if you are a researcher with above average qualifications in a developing or transition country (see list of countries),
- if you intend to carry out long-term research of your own choice (6 to 24 months) at a research institution in Germany together with an academic host you have chosen yourself,
- if your research outline includes aspects that are important for the continued development of your country or region of origin and
- if you want to contribute to the exchange of knowledge and methods between Germany and your country of origin.
Applications are possible anytime - please apply at least four to seven months before your estimated time of departure.
In addition, the Humboldt Foundation grants Georg Forster Research Awards every year to leading researchers from developing countries.
- Website of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- in the Programme information for postdoctoral researchers